Thursday, December 16, 2010

Newark-on-Trent

Newark is a town on the bus route from Nottingham to Lincoln. I didn't realize that you could get a cheap train to Lincoln (the last trains I'd had cost over £30) so I took the bus. To get from Nottingham to Lincoln you need to get off here and hop on another bus. It's a nice little market town that I didn't mean to get stuck at for an hour. The bus stop is right over the road from this castle so I went to see it.

What's left of the castle is in pretty good shape. While the entire thing is in pieces the surviving sections are mostly smooth and finished. The bits that are torn away show how the castle was constructed.

There is a very good view of the Trent from the castle.

I returned here at night. I got a bus from Lincoln and it arrived in Newark at around 8. Unfortunately bus service to Nottingham ended by 7. The bus driver was kind enough to drop me off at the train station which turned out to be only a short ways away. Arriving just as the train left I had to wait for just under two hours in the bitter, bitter cold. After hiding in the supermarket next door I went to the first open restaurant that I could find. I got myself a pizza since that was the only thing they had that I felt like. I had had Pizza Express for lunch and was rather surprised to discover that this pizza was exactly the same. Turns out they were an affiliate under a different name. Odder still there was a Pizza Express just down the road from them. Two restaurants selling the same pizza seems odd to me. Anyway, I went to the station and waited for about twenty minutes since I didn't want to miss the train this time. It ended up being about ten minutes late so I was freezing when I got on. And then I went right home and went to bed. End of trip.

View Larger Map

53° 4'40.25"N, 0°48'45.58"W

No comments:

Post a Comment