Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Acre

COMING SOON
weew





















It turns out that the bus I was aiming for had already left the station. I needed to get back to Jerusalem by the morning in order to pick up my stuff so I could catch my plane out of Tel Aviv. The Haifa to Jerusalem bus service stopped by 6 PM and I didn't even make it to the Acre bus station by that time. Fortunately there was one that was supposed to be headed to Jerusalem from a place called Khananya Junction. So I got the bus there. It turns out that Khananya Junction is exactly what it sounds like: a junction. There was no station, buildings, or anything. Only a bus stop with no numbers. So I just sat there for an hour getting more and more nervous that I was at the wrong place (the bus driver hadn't spoken much English) and thinking that I was never going to get home that night. A nice couple with their baby showed up and they reassured me that the 982 bus did indeed go by there but only stopped when it was going the other way. They were kind enough to give me a lift to a place called Qaddarim (picture above). There was nothing there either but I had the assurance of two people who spoke pretty good English and that was better than I had before. The bus stop listed the bus number but not which direction it was going. I really hate it when they do that. France was the same way.Fortunately, since I'd missed my 6:30 bus I had a two hour wait until the 8:30 bus arrived and there was what looked like a gas station down the street. It was indeed a gas station and there was a bagel/coffee store right next to it so I hung out there and recharged my dying phone (another cause for worry. That had all my train info on it) for about an hour before heading back to the bus stop. The bus did indeed come through, about half an hour early too. No wonder I'd missed the last one. So the rest of my night went pretty smoothly. Time worries were the bane of my trip though and if I go again I'll be sure to rent a car or else leave each place earlier than I did.


View Larger Map
32°55'18.02"N, 35° 4'4.86"E

No comments:

Post a Comment