Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nafplia

The only reason that I went to Nafplia was because there was supposed to be a bus from there to Mycenae. Anyone traveling from Athens to Mycenae is strongly advised to AVOID THIS ROUTE. The buses can be cancelled with no warning and they only have three of them daily, which means that if you want to get back you have to leave by 3. The people manning the bus station are also the rudest I have ever encountered at any sort of public service job. They treated me as if I was only an irritation and ignored me to start talking to people who just walked in. Greeks have a tendency to be somewhat rude but this was as bad as I've seen it. Worse, it took me 15 minutes to figure out a solution which she knew the entire time. Horrible.

So what's in Nafplia? First off there's Palamidi Castle on the top of the cliffs. It is an enormous Venetian castle built on an immensely impressive rock. Many hills have castles on them, to the extent where it is boring, but Palamidi is the largest and most impressive I've seen. It is almost completely intact. There looks to be a beautiful view of the shore from up there but I didn't have time to go up it and find out. Next time.


For a Greek city Nafplia is quite clean. There are parks and fountains in the area of the bus station, which I didn't wander that far from. They also have a large agora where people can go shopping

This is what remains of Tiryns. It is just outside Nafplia on the road to Argos and I took this picture out the bus window. Tiryns is a Mycenaean fortress and is probably the most impressive one outside Mycenae, which is only about ten miles away from it. Why they needed two fortresses for this one area I do not know.

37°33'43.54"N, 22°48'14.95"E

No comments:

Post a Comment