Monday, June 20, 2011

Brindisi

I have very little to say about Brindidsi.

The only reason we went to Brinsisi was to catch the ferry over to Greece. There was really nothing there worth seeing. Not that there was anything wrong with the town but it wasn't particularly memorable. I do know that Brundisium was an old Roman port but I don't think that anything much survived from that time. I did notice that the terrain and vegitation changed on the way there. While the places we went to further north seemed green and lively Brindisi was dead and the only plants were pretty scraggly. It was actually a lot more similar to Greece than Italy although the soil seemed to be too light colored. I can understand how they filmed all those Biblical epics in Italy now. It really does look Middle Eastern, though not quite so much as they seem to think.

The boat that we were on was called the Ionian Queen. It was a very nice boat. It kinda reminded me of the Titanic, a fact which I did not mention since one of my friends was convinced I was jinxing the trip anyway. The port itself was a dump. The ferry office was a poorly-maintained, smelly room with far too few people manning it. Despite that the transportation went without a hitch, for the first time in all of Italy.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that no matter how hard you plan you can never know just what to expect from a holiday. Of all the things that went wrong in Italy only the first two early trains and the Ravenna hotel were my fault. And maybe my lack of appropriate caution with my wallet. Everything else was just the universe toying with us. The universe and ItaliaRail. Anyone connected with them should be sacked and stuck in a fast food joint where the confusing prices and unlabeled products would undoubtedly get them fired.


View Larger Map
40°38'42.80"N, 17°57'47.24"E

No comments:

Post a Comment